Gorton Monastery, Manchester

 

Gorton Monastery as it is known locally, officially the Church and Friary of St Francis, was designed by Edward Welby Pugin, and completed in 1872.  It is regarded as one of the finest examples of High Victorian Gothic architecture in the world.


The Grade ll* listed building underwent a £6 million restoration programme from 2006-07.


Our part of the scheme involved re-making over two hundred leaded lights (mainly diamond lights with an amber border), in situ repairs to over 60 windows and the restoration of stained glass windows around the alter, a 12 month project.

 

Read more...